Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Point Motors

When we planned Nowa Nowa the original intention was to use manual points using piano wire from both sides.

Then I "found" my box of Peco point motors, and the plan changed... I have used of previous layouts and was pretty happy with them. Plan B involved fixing the Peco motors to the points, which was going to require the foam to be cut out. Subsequently the plywood was cut away where the points were so we could cut the foam out, and to save a bit of weight...

The problem was this would leave large "holes" under the points which would be noticed, and detract from the layout...Plan C then involved attaching the Peco point motors to the foam with just a small hole for the wire to go through....

I became increasingly unhappy with this approach for a number of reasons, including getting them to attach (I was beginning to really regret cutting the plywood away...), the operation of the motors them selves, and reviews of other products...


Enter the Cobolt!

Having seen the website, read the AMRM review, and talk to people who had used similar products I became increasingly convinced that I should at least give these a go. While sitting in my hotel in Orlando, USA, early one morning suffering from Jetlag I decided to do it, and ordered a 12 pack and associated bits...

Now the decision to cut away the plywood really started to haunt me...

First I tried fixing using the double sided tape directly to the blue foam. This held pretty good, and after leaving for 24 hours it was holding well... until I started to muck around with the points...

So now I have attached with the foam, then run a bead of "Liquid Nails". I'll report on how it goes in a few days :)

I have also done one where there was still plywood, this is how I would recommend it to go :



I am a bit concerned about how well the motors are protected on the module when it is moved... time will tell... I may have to add a bit more protection underneath.

Cheers
Rob

1 comment:

  1. I'd be very interested on your thoughts on the cobalt motors Rob, I was thinking of using them on my future modules, they sound like they have everything going for them. Nowa Nowa is looking great. Rgds Eddie

    ReplyDelete